Thursday, September 28, 2006

New Clothes

Galatians 3:26-27
You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

What does it mean to be clothed with Christ? What should that look like?
Now, granted, I’m a woman, so when I think of clothing, I think of it as being one of the first things I notice on a person. Clothing is one of the ways we express ourselves – our likes, interests, priorities. We can tell a lot about a person, generally speaking, just by their clothes. I wonder, does Christ express who we are? More importantly, I think, do we express who Christ is to a dying, desperate, and hopeless world?
I believe to be clothed with Christ means that we walk in the knowledge of who we are, of whose we are. Our likes, dislikes, and priorities mirror the likes, dislikes, and priorities of Christ. When we are clothed with Christ, it shouldn’t take long for those around us to notice that there is something different about us.
Interestingly, the Greek word for “clothed,” enduo, means “to sink into, put on…” and it’s from the root word duno, meaning “to go into, enter, be plunged into…” Wow! We need to sink into Christ, plunging into Him. What a wonderful thought! Like a pair of silky pajamas, and the softest comfy chair, we need to sink into Christ, and just let Him consume us – consume our thoughts, our desires, our focus, our priorities… the list could be endless. We need to let Him consume all that we have and all that we are, until He is the very expression of all that we are, and all that we desire to be.
When people look at you and me, do they see Christ? I guess a better question to ask ourselves would be, do they see the truth of Christ, or do they see our idea of Him? As Christians we represent the One whose name we bear. I just wonder if I am showing off the real thing, a priceless treasure, or a cheap imitation? Let’s sink into Jesus today, and let Him begin to change us stitch-by-stitch!

No comments: