Saturday, January 26, 2008

What is Valued

"You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight."



Luke 16:15


This is Jesus talking to the Pharisees "who loved money." I love Jesus! Can I just say that?? I mean, I love how He seems to take everything and turn it upside down! He just comes in my nice and tidy life and messes things up!! And I love that about Him - He's rebellious, and being rebellious myself, I just LOVE it!!


Our pastor used this passage in his message a few weeks ago, and it has just been stirring my thoughts, and weighing on my heart. Of course, in context it is regarding money, but I believe this is true about everything we value! We value power, influence, success, money, individuality, freedom to ____________. These are the things that excite us, and make us work harder and step on more and more people to make it to the top!!


Yet, when we look at Scripture, we find that Jesus values humility, servant-hood, the weak and the poor, community, and freedom from ____________. He says the first shall be last, and the last shall be first; He tells us the least shall be greatest, and the greatest shall be least . . . now, you and I say we believe the Bible, so why do we still try to be first? To be greatest? I mean, if we truly believe the Bible, and believe it to be God's perfect truth, then shouldn't we all be fighting to be last? To be least? Yet we don't. I don't.


Oh God, help us to truly begin to value what You value! Give us a desire for humility, to be servants of all around us, to be with the weak and the poor, to live in community, and to be free from the chains and bondage of sin! We love you, and we want to live lives that reflect that love!!
In the mighty name of Jesus - Amen!

No comments: