Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Bragin' on Our Jesus

Galatians 6:14
May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation.

Boasting in Christ. How often do we boast in Christ? How often do we go around boasting about what Christ is doing in our lives, our churches, our families? Not very often, I would be willing to bet, at least for most of us. Sure, it’s easy to boast about the achievements of our children, our spouse, even ourselves, but start to mention Jesus and most people shut-down or put up the thickest wall of defense we’ve ever seen. And so, Jesus is not someone we tend to mention much is He?

I wonder what it would take to get you and me to start talking about Jesus everyday, in ordinary ways (not that Jesus is ordinary – far from it! But to talk about Him as though He is a constant part of our lives). I read an e-mail some time ago about how our lives would be so much different if we would treat our Bibles the way we treat our cell phones – always with us, always in it, always consulting it when we have extra time or a problem, etc. It makes me wonder how much of the world really has seeped into my pores.

So, I look at myself in the mirror and wonder – am I a new creation? Yes! Praise God, I am!! I am not the person I was – even compared to 3 years ago! So, is the rest of life reflecting that newness? Or am I still caught up in the habits of the old creation, like a butterfly stuck in his cocoon? Am I truly dead to the world and all its trappings? Is the world truly dead to me, holding no appeal or luster? And is Jesus the one person I am truly proud of? I don’t know.

These are tough questions I need to ask myself. I need to spend some time reflecting and ask God to reveal the truth to me. I wonder, would you ask them of yourself along with me? Then we can face the answers together and work side-by-side to become those who truly desire to brag about Jesus and all that He is!

No comments: