Saturday, October 21, 2006

God's Wondrous Works

Psalm 104:24
O LORD, how manifold are thy works! in wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches.

I went to the Grand Canyon this week with my family for the very first time. Yes, I have lived in Arizona for over 8 years, and have just visited the state’s most recognizable feature. Oh how I wish I had gone sooner.

I can’t stop thinking about it.

It has captivated my mind and thoughts since I set eyes on it. It has touched me deep within, as I imagine my Creator speaking it into existence. Yes, Jesus has captured my heart, once again, with this amazing piece of workmanship.

Psalm 104:24 is the verse I found on a plaque on one of the buildings. When I read it, it so perfectly described how I felt that it brought me to tears. I was so blessed to see that it had not been removed for fear of offending someone, rather it publicly proclaimed the Artist whose hand had carved the very wonder everyone was there to experience!

I cannot even fully express how it has affected me. Even now I am in tears thinking about how magnificent it was. . . almost too precious to share.

So, I will leave you with the poem that followed this verse on the plaque:

“Father Almighty, wonderful Lord, Wondrous Creator, be ever adored; Wonders of nature sing praises to You, Wonder of wonders - I may praise too!” MB



1 comment:

Jack said...

Hi Andrea, I'm wondering if this blog is still active. I came across this same Scripture coupled with the poem by "MB" under most unusual circumstances that I would like to share with you.

In a time before I had purposely committed my life to God, He “spoke” to me in an almost audible voice, an experience that is difficult to convey in words. During the summer following my high school graduation, I was picnicking with my girlfriend on the property of the Banksville Community House in Banksville, New York. We had each ridden our bikes from our homes and met along Banksville Road to find a place to stop for lunch. We chose to sit under an apple tree on a gradually sloping hill adjacent to a children’s playground. As I was contemplating the beauty of the day; the extreme blue sky, the leaves of the apple tree blowing in the gentle wind; the bright sunshine that warms the earth; I heard a “shout”… It was as though God shouted to my mind in a voice that my ears did not hear, in a single syllable, in a word, a language I did not know. The meaning of that “word”, the impression that it left in me, was that all of this, all of this surrounding me, all I could see… was God’s creation!

So… fast forward ahead almost 20 years. I am coaching my son Tim’s baseball team and the schedule for today’s game lists the Banksville field as our venue. I couldn’t even remember where in Banksville there was a field, but as I read the directions to get there, I recognized the familiar Banksville Community House. At the bottom of a gradual sloping hill was a small baseball field which I never remembered being there. After the game, as we were approaching the parking lot, I stopped at the nearby flag pole and read the inscription in the base.

O Lord
How manifold are Thy works!
In wisdom hast Thou made them all; the earth is full of Thy riches.
Psalm 104:24

Father Almighty, Wonderful Lord,
Wondrous Creator, be ever adored;
Wonders of nature
Sing praises to You,
Wonder of wonders –
I may praise too!
MB

I was amazed! It was at this same place 20 years earlier that God spoke to me through His creation!

The following year, we again returned to that field during the baseball season. I was stunned to see that the flag pole had been replaced with a brand new flag pole, but without that beautiful Scripture and poem. God made sure I was able to see that flag pole that had been there for so many years and then, during that following year, it was gone.

Jack