Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Contentment

Psalm 119:33-40
Teach me, O LORD, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end. Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart. Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight. Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain. Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. Fulfill your promise to your servant, so that you may be feared. Take away the disgrace I dread, for your laws are good. How I long for your precepts! Preserve my life in your righteousness.

This time of the year always seems to breed discontentment in me. With the generosity of the season, I want to give, give, give, and our bank account just won’t allow it. That is when I begin to look around and notice all the people who have more than me and who can (seemingly) just go out and spoil all the people within their circle of influence.

Oh, how I wish that could be me! Gift-giving is definitely my love language, and I really don’t get to express it much, being a stay-at-home mom and all. So, rather than looking out, at all that I want and do not have, I need to look up. Up to the One who has everything. Yes, the One who is and has all that I need.

Verses 36-37, “Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain. Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word,” has become a passage very familiar and very dear to me. I cry these words from the very depths of my heart every time I begin to complain about our small house, or our not-so-new cars, or my “outdated” wardrobe, or our depleted bank account. Such stupid things, really – “worthless.”

When I read and meditate on this passage, and allow God to turn me toward His truth and His Word, I find that the discontentment fades, and I begin to see that there are at least twice as many people out there (probably many of you reading this) who are worse off than Chris and me! How lucky we are to even own a house! How lucky we are to have 2 working cars! How lucky we are to have the health of every single person under this roof! How lucky we are to have a family that loves each other (even the kids!), and looks out for each other, and prays for each other, and enjoys each other! How lucky we are to have Christ and His Word so easily accessible! How lucky we are!

How lucky, indeed.

No comments: