Saturday, November 11, 2006

Our Suffering

Psalm 119:49-56
Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope. My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life. The arrogant mock me without restraint, but I do not turn from your law. I remember your ancient laws, O LORD, and I find comfort in them. Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law. Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge. In the night I remember your name, O LORD, and I will keep your law. This has been my practice: I obey your precepts.

Yesterday we talked of the persecution so many of our brothers and sisters experience across the globe. We are pretty lucky in this country, as any persecution we experience pales in comparison. However, when we are the ones who suffer, suddenly it becomes very personal and very painful, regardless of the scale.

No matter where we live, no matter what our stage in life, age in life, income level, status in society, etc. we will suffer. And when we do, God alone can give us the hope we need. His promises are the only salve that can soothe and strengthen us.

You and I need to diligently search His Word for His sweet promises, for His promises preserve our life. We need to learn them, believe them, and make them a part of every day. We need to remember His name in the night, as we lay on our beds longing for peace and rest. Because, ultimately, what will get us through is our focus – not on the here-and-now, on temporary things, but on eternity. Whatever we suffer, it will not last forever, praise His holy name!

So, let’s go to God, tell Him our heartaches, struggles, and pains. He will hold us, strengthen us, and remind us of His great promises. Look to Him, dear friend, for He is our hope in times of need.

No comments: