Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Treasuring God's Word

Psalm 119:65-72
Do good to your servant according to your word, O LORD. Teach me knowledge and good judgment, for I believe in your commands. Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word. You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees. Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies, I keep your precepts with all my heart. Their hearts are callous and unfeeling, but I delight in your law. It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees. The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.

God’s Word is so good, isn’t it? I can look at this passage and see about 10 different things I could write on, yet one thing really sticks out to me – the last sentence.

We can see here that God teaches us (mainly through His Word) that He is good, His Word is good, and that learning and obeying God’s decrees is beneficial to us (not just something we do to keep God happy). And while I could wholeheartedly pray just about every word of this passage, I would really have to stop and make sure I could honestly say that last sentence.

Oh, I know I should be able to pray it. I know that I should treasure God’s Word far more than worldly wealth, and I could probably even say that I do. But then I have to wonder – does my life reflect such priorities?

If someone told me I would get $1000 for simply getting out of bed early, and hanging out with them on my couch for 30 minutes while we talk, I can tell you I would set my alarm and still probably get up before it went off. Yet here I am, ashamed to say that I struggle daily with getting out of bed to spend time with Jesus in the Word. This does not reflect a life that desires and treasures the Word of God above worldly riches.

Oh, how I desire to have a heart that can earnestly shout that last sentence! I can think of nothing more profitable than knowing God and His Word better than I know myself. So why can I not put it into action and stay there? I have a million excuses and then some, yet the truth comes down to the fact that I do not value the Word the way I need to.

Take a few moments and pray with me right now. Pray that God would give us a true desire to seek Him in His Word every day. Pray that He would drive us to it, doing whatever He must, brining us to the point where we would give up anything and everything just to meet Him daily in the midst of those beautiful, crisp, crinkly pages.

No comments: