Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Creating

In the midst of this darkness that seems to be consuming my soul, as I wait for the SonRise, I find myself longing for the arts . . . for music, dance, theater, for that which is creative, beautiful . . . I long to be in it more than anything else - to let the music consume me, to be wrapped in it and laid to rest. I think it might be keeping me alive, keeping me sane.

I admit that I used to think of the performing arts (in which I have spent a lot of time and energy), and really ALL art, as something less than necessary. The arts are not a NEED, or so I have always thought. But as I have struggled these last few months, finding my only solace in music and dance and art, I have discovered quite the contrary, and have been really thinking a lot about this.

I wonder, what does it mean to be creative?? Obviously, the word "create" is the base of the word, so it means to create . . . to breathe life into something. But I think it is so much MORE than that. I think the focus needs to be taken away from the artist and the art on placed onto the recipient. I believe that when we are creative, we breathe life into and through the piece, so that those who are watching, listening, engaging are receiving life and hope and faith through it. I believe that is what art has to offer us. Life. Hope. Faith. Love. A glimpse of the beauty of God. It IS a need. Food and drink for the soul, the mind, the heart.

Look at all the civilizations around the world - each one has it's song, dance, art. There is not a single people group that I have ever heard of that does not have some sort of artistic expression they embrace.

Art is a gift from God. I believe that God intended for art to be an instrument of His beauty, a declaration of His love and divine embrace.

No comments: