Monday, October 30, 2006

Obedience

Psalm 119:4-8
You have laid down precepts that are to be fully obeyed. Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees! Then I would not be put to shame when I consider all your commands. I will praise you with an upright heart as I learn your righteous laws. I will obey your decrees; do not utterly forsake me.

As we continue our journey into Psalm 119, we see one of the keys to the victorious Christian walk – obedience. I love the second sentence here, as it is my heart’s cry – “Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying Your decrees!” I couldn’t have said it any better. That last sentence, however, should say something a little more like, “I will try to obey your decrees…” Try seems to be about all I can muster most days. I would imagine a lot of people feel the same.

I wonder if we’re too hard on ourselves. I know I have many friends who say that about me, and I’m beginning to see how it could be true. I took this weekend “off.” With having a cold, my little guy still fighting a nasty cold and not sleeping, and my husband out-of-town, I decided to take it easy and just relax. Yet all weekend long I fought guilt, thinking I was slacking and not doing enough – devotionals to write, messages to prepare, and books to read. I wonder if sometimes I confuse overwork and getting everything done I think needs to be done, with obedience. That’s definitely something I’m going to need to pray about.

How about you? Do you sometimes confuse obedience with working too hard, doing all the right things (though with wrong motive or attitude), finishing your “to do” list, going to all the right church functions . . . . this list could be endless, couldn’t it. I think we need to remember that God is looking at our hearts more than our actions. And when our hearts are in the right place, our actions will easily follow.

And so, “I will praise Him with an upright heart as I learn His righteous laws.” That’s something I can do. How about you?

No comments: