Saturday, November 04, 2006

Longing For God's Word

Psalm 119:17-24
Do good to your servant, and I will live; I will obey your word. Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law. I am a stranger on earth; do not hide your commands from me. My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times. You rebuke the arrogant, who are cursed and who stray from your commands. Remove from me scorn and contempt, for I keep your statutes. Though rulers sit together and slander me, your servant will meditate on your decrees. Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.

Back to Psalm 119, though not out of “sharing my struggles mode.” I love Psalm 119, and am drawn to it when I find my passion for God’s Word dwindling, as I said on October 26. I especially love this section, as it reminds me that I need to be “consumed with longing for God’s laws at all times.” (emphasis mine) I don’t know about you, but that does not describe me, as much as I wish it did.

Actually, I guess that I am consumed with a longing for God’s Word quite frequently. I walk through my day desiring to spend some alone time with Him, somehow, sometime. However, it is in the follow-through that I tend to fall short – dramatically short. Somehow I can find time to study for my writing and my teaching, but with two little ones (who don’t like to sleep late in the morning, or much during the night sometimes), and a hubby with a strange work schedule, and, well, life in general, I find that it is my time in the Word with Jesus that tends to slip first. Since my second little guy has come along, I have had so much trouble getting back into this vital habit. I know how terribly important it is. I know how much better I feel when I go to Him first thing in the morning. I also can tell you that I am tired, and feel as though I am burning the candle at both ends most of the time.

I wonder how I am supposed to do all that I am called to do, and still find time for the rest that God commands of us. I am consumed with longing for God’s Word, because I do not get near enough time to just soak it up and consume it. I want God to open my eyes that I would see wonderful things in His Word. I want His statutes to be my delight and my counselors. I want these things so bad I can taste it. Yet, to my shame and dismay, I can tell you that today, once again, I have desired them only and not tasted at all.

Something’s got to give! I wish I had some answers here, but I don’t. I don’t know if this is something you struggle with, or not. I know I meet countless people who know the importance of a daily devotional time, but like me have trouble “working it in.” You and I cannot do what we are called to do if our roots do not go deep into the Word, into Jesus, into His truth, into His life-giving waters. Pray for me friends! And I will pray for you, that God would make a way, give us the energy, and draw us into a daily, maintainable time with Him. Deal?

No comments: