Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Pure Ways

Psalm 119:9-16
How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, O LORD; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.

It seems to me there are four things listed in this passage that will ignite a passion within us for God and His Word, helping us to live pure lives.

First, we need to hide His Word in our hearts. Scripture memorization is so helpful in so many ways. It aides us when we are facing temptation, doubt, or deception. We can use it when helping or teaching others, or when the Spirit is helping and teaching us. We must hide God’s Word in our hearts, giving us the tools to build up ourselves and those around us whenever and wherever the Spirit provides the opportunity.

Second, we need to recount, verbally, all God’s laws and precepts. We need to talk about what God is teaching us and what we are learning. We need to have those we can talk to about all that God is doing in our lives, reminding ourselves of His amazing activity. We need to teach God’s laws, His Word, and all He is doing to our children and their children. There is just something about verbalizing such things that makes it more real and vibrant.

Third, we need to meditate on God’s precepts, and consider His ways. I think this goes hand-in-hand with #2, above. When we have time to stop and think, instead of letting our minds wander to our to-do list, to things that are perhaps unhealthy or stressful, or whatever, we should let our minds focus on God and His ways. Consider what He has done and is doing. Consider the passage of Scripture you read recently and what God is trying to teach you, personally, in it. Meditate on God’s precepts, consider His marvelous ways!

Fourth, we must not neglect God’s Word. Nothing can spark a fire in us like the Word of God, itself… Himself. No amount of Scripture memorization and meditation, of talking about God and His works, of thinking about His Word and focusing on Him can replace time in the Word, with the Word. So, find 10 minutes today when you can sit quietly down, and open up your Bible. Jesus will meet you there – expect the miraculous!

1 comment:

ithinkearthisheaven said...

congratulate for having such a wonderful thoughts , if everyone start believing in god like you , i am sure earth will be heaven soon .